*This post is sponsored by Serena & Lily. All thoughts an opinions are my own.
When it comes to coastal decor, no one does it better than Serena & Lily. So when we were brought on to design a dining room for a vacation home in Fort Myers, FL, with a modern coastal vibe, we headed straight to their website for inspiration.
The right light can transform a room. In this case, the woven pendant in the image above, was the inspiration that sparked the design. A relaxed mix of coconut beads and abaca make this tiered chandelier versatile-yet-refined. Its dramatic scale balances beautifully with airy designs, without overpowering. Serena & Lily huge Fall Sale is currently underway site wide, making it the perfect time to invest in larger scale pieces that are sure to become heirlooms.
When it comes to coastal design, we often turn to the sea for a calm and laid back color palette. But for this dining room, we opted to deepen the blues and up the contrast for a more masculine look. The room calls for woven textures, paired with structure lines.
The lighting takes texture to new heights bringing a warm, handcrafted look to the room. However, we didn’t want the texture to end there. For a more modern spin on coastal dining, we opted to end cap the dining table with two chunky, handwoven seagrass chairs. Chic around a table, a great accent piece for the living room, this chair adds natural beauty wherever it goes. These keep the look casual and adds great texture to the mix. Performance cushions serve up comfort and are low maintenance. Design tip – you can have white chairs if you invest in performance fabric!
The photos below are from the listing photos and changes are already underway. While large, the space lacked structure and sophistication. The layout of the space will stay relatively the same, but the walls are in for a dramatic change. To lighten the space, we are adding paneling to the dining wall and wainscoting throughout. The walls will get a dose of Sherwin Williams Extra White.
See all our posts featuring our Modern Coastal Project in Fort Myers here.
The Design for the Modern Coastal Dining Room
We include tabletop accessories in our design board because furniture aren’t the only items that make a dining room shine. Dress up your table with beautiful essentials. The dining room should be finished just in time for the holidays. This is great news for us, as it is where we will be celebrating Christmas! (The home is owned by my parents.) We can’t wait to bring everyone together in style.
- Ventana Chandelier: The relaxed mix of coconut beads and abaca on this large scale chandelier is versatile and refined.
- Tucker Dining Chair: With the curved back of a traditional Windsor, it has a more compact frame that gives it a modern edge.
- Islesboro Chair: Chunky, handwoven seagrass keeps the look casual and adds great texture to the mix.
- Mirabelle Rug: While the pattern is bold, it’s surprisingly easy to layer.
- Reese Dining Table: Good design is as much about function as it is about form, this is generously sized to be on-call when extra guests arrive.
- Islesboro Chair: Chunky, handwoven seagrass keeps the look casual and adds great texture.
- Beachside Bowls: Handcrafted with mango wood, these bowls add the perfect natural touch.
- Salento Linen Napkins: Crisp, clean, and made of soft linen, this classic napkin set is a tabletop essential.
- Beachside Serving Board: Whitewashed mango wood and a dip-dye finish bring the perfect mix of natural and modern style to this serving board.
- Cayman Seagrass-Wrapped Pitcher: This seagrass-wrapped pitcher adds coastal charm.
- Ombre Cheese Set (Set of 3): Made of hand carved, hand dyed teak, the handles feature an ombre effect.
- Ombre Serving Set: We love the simple beauty of these serving pieces.
- Millerton Footed Fruit Bowl: This stylish mix of marble and brass is not just chic, it’s also a functional tabletop essential that looks fabulous anywhere and everywhere.
- Portland Bone Inlay Tray: Pretty enough to hold its own as a decorative piece, it’s also entirely practical.
Why Serena & Lily?
The reason I turn to Serena & Lily time and time again is because I know their quality it top-notch. Serena & Lily believes living well begins at home, and it shows. Not only can I rely on the quality of their products, they also provide great service. Do you have a design project you are working on? If so, Serena & Lily will provide free advice. They’ll help you every step of the way, from your first conversation to the moment your order arrives at your door. You can sign up for the service here.
Other perks from Serena & Lily: