These easy brownie bites topped with an almond buttercream frosting are super moist, fudgy and the perfect mini size to pop in your mouth for a quick treat.
This mini brownie bites recipe is perfect for parties and is endlessly versatile! (See our suggestion on how to decorate after St. Patrick’s Day below.) No matter your brownie preferences, these brownie bites deliver. Everyone will love their rich chocolate flavor! While corner brownie lovers will appreciate the crisp and chewy edges and middle of the pan brownie enthusiasts will adore the warm gooey center.
Whether it takes you a bite or two to eat, you’ll love these homemade mini brownies. They are full of rich chocolatey flavor and easy to make from scratch using simple pantry staples. No brownie mix required!
Equipment Needed to Make Mini Brownie Bites
Mini muffin pan: To prevent the brownie bites form sticking to the pan, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. For extra protection, you can line the pan inserts with parchment paper.
Mini-tart shaper: To fool your guest or family into believing you are a professional baker, we recommend using this mini-tart shaper. If you don’t have a tart shaper, you can use a spoon to evenly press down into each brownie.
Piping bag with large fitting: We love this reusable bag and piping tip set.
Brownie Bite FAQs
Can I double this recipe?
Yes! The more the merrier! Just double the ingredients for the chocolate brownie bites and buttercream frosting. Cook time will stay the same.
Can I use other toppings when decorating mini brownie bites?
I don’t see why not! While these treats make an excellent St. Patrick’s Day dessert, you can make them any time of the year or for any holiday with some adjustments. For instance, change out the food coloring to any color in the rainbow or substitute the buttercream frosting for cream cheese frosting.
Here are some toppings I recommend:
- Oreo crumbs
- M&Ms (or mini M&Ms)
- Reeses Pieces or crumbled Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Drizzle of melted chocolate
- Crumbled Cadbury eggs
Looking for more St. Patrick’s Day recipes? Check out our delicious Irish soda bread recipe!
How should you store leftover chocolate brownie bites?
You can store any leftover brownie bites in an airtight container in your fridge for up to a week.
Can you freeze mini brownie bites?
Yes! Let them cool completely before placing them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then thaw the bite-sized brownies covered on the counter for 1-2 hours or overnight in the fridge before decorating.
Can you substitute the almond flavor in the buttercream?
Yes. We recommend replacing the almond extract with 1 tsp of vanilla extract for a classic buttercream taste.
How to Make Mini Brownie Bites – Step by Step
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray, then set aside.
Melt butter on stove top in a small pot or in the microwave using a medium bowl. Add sugar and blend well.
Add butter mixture to a stand mixer or a large bowl, mix in cocoa powder until well combined.
Add baking powder, vanilla, eggs and salt, blend well.
Add flour ½ cup at a time until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
Scoop about 1 tbsp into the individual spots of the prepared mini muffin pan.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for approximately 8-10 minutes before using a mini-tart shaper to press into each brownie. Remove mini brownie bites from the pan and place on the cooling rack.
If brownies rise a little gently use a spoon to press them down to look flat as soon as removed from the oven. It will make it easier to press the mini-tart shaper into the brownie if they are not rounded. Best way to remove from the pan after using a shaper is to slide a butter knife down alongside the brownie and it should lift out easily.
How to make Buttercream Frosting for Brownies
Add powdered sugar and butter to a medium bowl and mix well.
Add heavy cream and vanilla until well combined.
Add 2-3 drops of green food coloring and blend well until satisfied with the color.
Add filling to a piping bag and fill the individual brownie cups. Top the brownie bites with mini chocolate chips if desired.
More Chocolate Desserts You’ll Love
Mini Brownie Bites with Buttercream Filling
- ½ cup butter melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Melt butter on stove top in a small pot or in the microwave using a medium bowl. Add sugar and blend well.
- Add butter mixture to a stand mixer or a large bowl, mix in cocoa powder until well combined.
- Add baking powder, vanilla, eggs and salt, blend well.
- Add flour ½ cup at a time until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp into the individual spots of the prepared mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for approximately 8-10 minutes before using a mini-tart shaper to press into each brownie. Remove brownies from the pan and place on the cooling rack.
- Add powdered sugar and butter to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla until well combined.
- Add 2-3 drops of green food coloring and blend well until satisfied with the color.
- Add filling to a piping bag and fill the individual brownie cups. Top with mini chocolate chips if desired.